Thursday, November 26, 2009

Introduction

No, we don’t like Twilight.

Yes, we’ve seen both movies, we’ve read all the books, and we’ve even perused a few interviews. And we still hate Twilight.

And no, we don’t secretly love Twilight. We’re not masking our love of it with false disdain to save our intellectual pride. We actually dislike it.

It’s not about “literature” or intellectual reading. We understand reading something light and sexy for pleasure. It’s not about us being bitter and angry, so we want to ruin your fun. And we’re not assuming that you’re stupid, squealing teens or under sexed house-wives.

So, having got the most common rebuttals out of the way – why do we hate Twilight, and why write this Zine?

Well, from the content within, we hope to make it pretty clear why we hate Twilight. And why you should think twice about it too.


-- Lex, Melissa and Zoya

1 comment:

  1. Ah, all of this rings so true - very well written! I have to add though, that for me my intense seething hatred of this series does come from an intellectual standpoint - but I blame the Twihards for making it come to that. I have no problem with people reading light, sappy romance or similar trashy novels (my guilty pleasure used to be Tom Clancy, who could easily rival Meyer for appalling sexism); but certain Twilight fans seem to think higher of the series. I've lost count of how many times people have told me that, since I'm an English major, "you should read Twilight." And no, it's never ironic. In my creative writing class this semester, a certain group of girls took it upon themselves to compare almost every story put up for workshopping to Twilight (I decided to bait them by writing a Twilight parody, and they at once commented "it reminds me of Twilight"). So I reserve the right to be pretentious and rip into Twilight for being utter trash, because people who continuously compare it to Jane Austen and Shakespeare (including the author herself) are just asking for it.

    Keep up the ranting, I look forward to reading more of it!
    ~Mick

    ReplyDelete